Sunday 25 November 2012

New rear valance - WK16 - 25/11/12

This week has been some good progress with getting the rear valance replaced.

First time using the angle grinder. I cut through the welds and then cut through the metal. The old rear valance came out in one piece. It came clear that this wasn't the original one but a replacement that has been put on, it had been replaced very well and a good job.

Old rear valance out
With the rear valance out it was time to clean off the old welds and clean up all the metal work. The metal work cleaned up well and there was only a couple of little patches of rust to clean up.








Me cleaning up the metal work



With all the metal work cleaned up it was time to fit the new valance. First I put back on the rear wings to line the valance up to. Then the rear valance was put in place and with a bit of work it fitted well. Rich wanted me to do the welding. I did a couple of practice spot welds but after 5 mins of welding i decided it was to soon to go on my car. Rich welded the rear valance in place for me.


New rear valance welded in place
 Although the new panel didn't weld great Rich did a great job on it and the welds are looking really good ready for me to grind them back and smooth them down.

Weld done ready for me to grind down
So it has been a really good day, I have learnt to cut and grind with the angle grinder. Old valance off and new valance on it a good days work. First panel complete

No comments:

Post a Comment